Thursday, November 1, 2007

Which Button?


The weather has gotten considerably cooler these past few days here in Seoul. I am from Minnesota, so this in itself is not really anything I can't handle. Back home, we just turn on the heat and layer on the long johns. I have a problem here in Korea, though. I am not sure how the heat works in my apartment. I have a small white box next to my door that supposedly controls the floor and water heating. I know the red button is the power button, and the one above the red is to activate the warm water. Other than that, I really have no clue as to what the other buttons are there for. I started pushing buttons one day about a month ago and my floor got so hot I could hardly walk on it to turn it off...I tried to regulate it then, but I haven't needed heat until now, so I didn't spend much time with it before giving up. I am ready to go to sleep, but the past few mornings I have been waking up freezing and huddled under my two, small blankets not willing to get out of bed. I need to figure out a way to keep the heat regulated all night. I could build a fire in the open space of my floor, but that will cause the landlady lots of concern, which could lead to some unwanted mothering from her. That leaves only one option: figure out what the nobs and buttons are for. I tried a new combination just now and am crossing my fingers that it will work and I won't wake up in a dead sweat sometime around 3 AM! I am OK to try that for now. The other mysterious set of buttons in my apartment belongs to my washing machine. I have washed many loads of clothes since I have been here, but I don't think I have used the same settings more than once. Sometimes the load takes only 7 or 8 minutes, and sometimes an hour and a half. I don't know which button to push, so I push them all in varying sequence! If the water starts running, I know I did something right. I took a few pictures of both my washing machine and my heating unit so I can bring my camera to work and ask someone to translate them. Hopefully, I will have answers before the weekend! In the meantime, I sit here at my computer in a knit hat and a sweatshirt drinking hot tea...

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

oh the joys of foreign appliances! good luck to you!