Thursday, November 29, 2007

Happy Thurday

Every other Thursday, my school principal lets us all off an hour earlier to "explore our hobbies." These Thursdays have come to be known as happy Thursdays. Today, my hobbies included going to the bank (which closes too early for me to get there on regular days), and coming home to catch part of Oprah and eat some popcorn. I love happy Thursdays! Usually, on happy Thursday, I go to a coffee shop and read. I have been reading the strangest book lately. It is Swiss Family Robinson. Have you read it? I think it is such a cheesy book, yet, I have not abandoned it! If you have not read it, it is about this Swiss family who is shipwrecked on an island. The father in the book seems to know everything there is to living in the wild (like, how to make rubber boots from tree sap, and how to hollow out a huge tree for a spiral staircase up to a treehouse). The dad is extremely perfect--way too perfect to be real. The mom is submissive and is referred to as "the mother" by the dad--she does anything and everything for her boys (like, making clothes from flax leaves and a loom and cooking all the weird animals the guys bring home). Anyway, the story is ridiculous as the island they landed on seems to be some sort of mixture of everything. There are kangaroos, tigers, all kinds of fish and birds, and the trees are from the Americas. Lucky for those guys, everything they could need or want either was shipwrecked with them, or exists on their little utopia. This book is way strange, but an interesting and quick read for anyone with a little extra time. Sorry this turned into a book review...didn't mean to do that! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bonnie. My name is Ohhoon, and I'm studying English conversation in St.Thomas university. My roommate told me about you. She works for a salon in uptown of Minneapolis, and one of her clients is Julie, so Julie told her that you are in Korea. It's very nice to meet you. I've been here for 3 months, and I'll go back to Korea in 3 weeks, 15th of December. I saw some of your pictures at your blog, they remind me a lot of memory. I'm used to go that sushi bar you've been, that was one of my favorite restaurant actually, and Marche too.
Although I'm still not good at English, if you don't mind, I want to meet you in Korea.
My email address is blugrape@naver.com
I hope you always have a good time in Korea.

Sabrina said...

I love the movie Swiss Family Robinson, but have never read the book. I think the movie is probably better. But the book is a classic so go figure!