Monday, November 26, 2007

Comfort and New Friends

It is the time of year where I start to hunker down and get comfy for the long winter. I'm from Minnesota, so I have done this my whole life. I love to surround myself with comfortable things like coffee drinks, gingerbread cookies, popcorn and soft blankets while a peaceful blanket of snow covers the ground. Well, I don't have a soft blanket yet, but I have the coffee drinks and gingerbread cookies. And, my mom sent me popcorn last week. I should be enjoying the season, but something isn't right. I know that Christmas is coming, but the hype here isn't as big as in the States. The Christmas decorations have been up since I got here (which makes me wonder if they ever come down), but it still isn't the same. I don't hear cheerful Christmas music on the streets, the stores aren't going into crazy sales mode, and I haven't seen even one Christmas cookie. It could be that it is still November, and Thanksgiving is barely over, but I know that in the States right now, people are gearing up for the big day. I guess I will give it a couple more weeks and see what happens. In the meantime, I will try to keep myself occupied what I can. I have made new friends at work--this is a small breakthrough! It is extremely difficult to meet people here, because it is customary to be introduced by a third person first. It is not common for individuals to approach a new person on their own. I have been walking with the art teacher to the subway everyday, and somehow that has been the "in" to the rest of the teachers on that side of the office room. Also, the math teacher has been secretly asking for my help in corresponding to her son's teacher in the States, so that is another person to talk to. I realized that many people were holding out on me in their English ability for these first few months! I think it is a general nervousness in speaking...I know this feeling well! :) One guy speaks a little German (no English), so he will greet me with "guten Morgen." Just the fact that he speaks to me at all is great! So, all in all, things are still going well (minus the slight lack in holiday spirit, but I am not giving up yet)!

No comments: