Thursday, November 29, 2007

Before and After


One early morning about a month ago, I awoke to the sound of large machines and breaking glass. As I got ready for work, I wondered what in the world was happening--whatever it was, it sounded permanent. As I left my apartment, I saw the huge machines, that were causing all the noise, smashing in the windows of a building at the end of my block. In one month, this shop was gutted, painted, carpeted, and completely rebuilt. In one month! It takes me a month to get around to running certain errands or to decide if I want the brown sweater or the blue one. An entire building reconstructed in one month...amazing! Today, I walked past the newly Tea Purple coffee shop and couldn't resist taking a quick snapshot. A couple of weeks ago, the machines were out early again to repave the road in front of the building--within two days it was finished. Can you imagine if construction jobs in the States took that long? It would be revolutionary! Oh...I should mention...the one thing that seems to have taken forever are those subway exits. I finally figured out what they are doing--they are making new, clear plexi-glass roofs for them. They will be nice when they are finished!

No comments: