Friday, May 16, 2008

Korean Cooking Lessons 요리 강습



Tonight was my first Korean cooking class! It was really cool because my friend Kara's student's mom invited us into her home (gasp!) to teach us how to make a couple of popular Korean dishes! It is really rare for Koreans to invite people into their homes--I'm not sure if it is just foreigners that are kept at arm's length or if it is everyone. I just know that I have been in two homes since I have been here and that it is BIG deal!

The first dish in our series of classes is my personal favorite: chap chay. I love it because it is full of noodles and veggies and has a sweet/savory flavor. I learned how to prepare it tonight and I am confident that I can reproduce the magic! :) The second picture I posted is the pre mixed dish. The final step in making chap chay is mixing all the ingredients together after the seasoned noodles cool a little. Kara and I were sent home with a large portion of fresh, yummy food (that won't last long)!

맛있은
("Mashita" means delicious in Korean.)

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

YUM!!!
To answer your question about Montevideo. I read an article about it a few years ago. It seemed like a really layed back, not too touristy kind of place. Kinda like a favorite hole in the wall restaurant! :)

sarah :) said...

mmm, looks VERY 'mashita!' :)