Tuesday, May 13, 2008

All things Japanese...


Tokyo is a busy, crowded place! There are 12 million people and they all seemed to be in Shinjuku on Friday! The picture above shows one of those crazy crosswalks that have diagonal options as well (the only other place I have ever seen these is in New Zealand). The fashion is really interesting--in the picture below, the person on the right is a guy! He is wearing a crushed velvet, leopard print tank top, clips in his hair, and is carrying three purses/murses! I think one was his girlfriend's, but the others were his (it is common for guys to carry their girlfriend's bags in Korea, so maybe it is the same in Japan)!

I spent the day with a couple of British guys from my dorm. They invited me to spend the day walking around and seeing the city with them. They were great companions throughout the day and tried to cure me of my "terrible American accent" by teaching me funny sounding British phrases! It didn't stick--I'm American through and through and proud of it! :) During the day, we stepped into an arcade and played a few games. I tried the drums below and, I have to say, was pretty good at it!

Here is what I always pictured Tokyo to look like--I didn't see this at night, but I can only imagine what it would be like! There was always something moving, flashing, flying, beeping and buzzing--a little too much stimulation for this small town girl at times!

We finished off the night with some good, old fashioned Japanese karaoke! This was really fun for us--10 of us in a small room with two microphones and a phone book sized selection of old and new songs for our singing pleasure! I sang a duet with each of the three people in the picture: Fergie's "Glamorous" with the guy in purple (his request), Rihanna's "Umbrella" with the guy in stripes (his request), and Michael Jackson's "Beat it" with the girl sitting next to me. A great way to finish off a busy day!

No comments: