Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I heart TOkyO!

Sunday, I ventured out into the city on my own for the first time! I went to the observatory at the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Office. After being zipped up to the 45 floor at an ear-popping pace, I stepped out of the elevator to a 360 degree view of the city! On a clear day, visitors can see Mt. Fuji, but I didn't see anything but the tops of a bunch of buildings.

This is a picture of the inside of the subway station. I had to figure out where I was going in Japanese, purchase the correct ticket, then begin the daunting task of finding the correct platform! Luckily, I didn't get on the wrong train (I have become quite the navigator in the past years)! I headed to Harajuku to see the costume-play (and the girls from Gwen Steffani's song). Local teens dress up like Bo-peep, Frankenstein's bride, and other characters, and hang out on the bridge near the train station for the tourists. This girl posed for pictures as well as any celebrity I've ever seen!

These funky teens got a band together and played a few tunes in the park. I was so distracted by their appearance that I can't tell you how they sounded!

And, finally, I stumbled into a park in the middle of the city. Across from the park entrance, there was a Thai festival going on. I managed to make my way to the food stalls for a large portion of Pad Thai for 300 Yen! It was too crowded to do much else, so I went back to the station.


The rest of the evening was spent wandering through this neon jungle of a city, seeing the last few sights I hadn't had the chance to get to yet, dinner with friends from the hostel and prep for my trip back to Seoul in the morning! All in all, I had a great time in Japan! I would really like to go back again some day, although, I am going to bring a lot more money next time (it was REALLY expensive)! I recommend Tokyo for anyone looking to try something polar opposite of all things familiar. It is a vibrant, energetic city--I will be back Tokyo! Arigato and sayonara (I learned that from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)!

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

You have ALL the fun!! looks amazing!! Enjoy!