Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Day trip to Fuji~

This Star Wars-esque train was my ticket out of Tokyo for a fun day on Mt. Fuji! The bullet train is famous around the world, so I didn't want to miss the chance to ride on one while in Japan! This thing got me to Shin-Fuji in just 72 minutes! (I have no idea how long it would take a regular train, but it would be over 3 hours for sure!)

I met with a friend of mine, Sarah, and one of her friends for a conveyor belt sushi lunch! Each plate was 100 Yen (about $1.18USD) and I even ordered dessert through the intercom box at our table (Some choco cakey please! Arrigato!)! We finished 22 plates between the three of us!


This is the 5th station at Mt. Fuji...believe it or not, there are stairs below all that snow which lead hikers to the trail up the mountain. I guess we came at the wrong time of the year!


If you know me, you know that I LOVE ice cream! In fact, I could eat it every day and not get sick of it, but this flavor turned me off a little. Horseradish? It is also known as wasabi flavored ice cream. I didn't try that one, but did order a cone of neon purple sweet potato ice cream! Not bad...not bad.


Here is a waterfall that we went to after we realized that hiking was out of the question for the day. It looked Hawaiian to me, but was still really cold! After being outdoors for quite awhile, Sarah and I headed to an Onsen (public bathhouse) to soak the chill out of our bones! The public bathhouse is really popular in Japan and Korea and promotes 'oneness' and is viewed as a social leveler. Young and old come together (in gender separate rooms) to scrub down, soak and steam out toxins while spending time with friends and family.

No comments: