Friday, April 11, 2008

Dinner with the art teachers.

Tonight was one of those times I wished I had better Korean language skills. I have often thought that it would be great to somehow instantly implant language into my brain for quick communication ease--like some kind of computer chip or something. After school today, I was invited out by the two art teachers. These two guys have become some of my favorite people in Korea. They are so easy going and unassuming. They treat me as a normal person and don't draw attention to my alienness. One of them is Mr. Ko, the one who's art exhibit I attended in the fall. The other one, Mr. Kim, has this great, deep, nasaly voice that reminds me of the singer Shaggy (the one who sings "Darlin' you're my angel, you're my darlin' angel, closer than my peeps you are to me, baby")--one day before I leave, I want to request that he sing that song in the karaoke room! These two guys invited me to be their guests for dinner--they brought me to a Korean restaurant and treated me to as much food and drink as I could handle. We weaved in and out of conversation topics and enjoyed our time despite communication breakdown. We had plenty to talk about and when we didn't understand each other, we just said "no problem" and moved on. Great! I do wish I could speak with them--I think we really have a lot of things in common.

No comments: