Monday, April 21, 2008

April 21st

My birthday is next week! Good news: it is my school's foundation day and there is no school on my birthday for the whole school! I've been looking forward to it for months and have planned a day-trip for myself! :) Bad news: I found out today that I have to go to a seminar all day and listen to other foreign teachers present examples of their lessons and participate in discussion groups about these lessons. :( This news quickly brought me down this morning and it was hard for me not to let it ruin my day. Especially since it will be my birthday and I have to sit at a boring seminar all day. I am such a whiner! This should NOT be a day ruining piece of information!

A few weeks ago I watched an interview where the person made a comment I have thought about since. She talked about all of her life's trials and how they caused her to exude so much negativity, but how she didn't want that to be her life's contribution to the world. I think that is a good way to look at things. There have been a lot of obstacles in my life here in the past months. I have felt every bump in the road which has been exaggerated by the fact that I am in Korea and not at home. I will use an example from my daily life to illustrate this point: it's like sitting on the back of the bus vs. sitting up in the front. In the back, when the driver hits a bump it feels like you've jumped a mountain and you bounce out of your seat a little and have to hang on for dear life, but in the front, it barely seems like you've even gone over a bump at all. Korea is like riding in the back of the bus for me lately--it's the same bump, but it feels bigger. However, I have to reflect on what the woman said in the interview and stop letting things affect me so much. Even if things are rough sometimes, I have to learn to react differently. I don't want negativity to be my contribution to the world either. I would rather have joy and peace be my contribution. Sounds a little Mother Teresa of me, doesn't it? Ha ha!

Just some thoughts I've been working on...

3 comments:

Sabrina said...

Well bummer about the birthday... But you have a great attitude\reflection on the negative side of things... Why is it so much easier to get hung up on the negative when really there is just as much if not more positive around? Well I think you are probably learning a lot that you wont even realize until someday down the road you can see the bigger picture. You are well on your way! :)

sarah :) said...

I second sabrina's comments :)

I penciled your name on my calendar for May 10--with a huge smile next to it! Anything specific you want to see/do? I'm up for whatever & I'm really excited!! :)

Anonymous said...

Well, life is like a rollercoaster. It has its ups and downs. Remember the wooden die I had on my desk? On one side it says: Think positivly! I still have it on my desk and I always position that side facing me. It reminds me to look at the bright side when things are not going so well.