Sunday, December 16, 2007

Roses on the Subway

Yesterday was a nice, relaxed day of laundry, cleaning up around my place and a little shopping. I slept in until 10 (which is a little unusual for me) and lazily headed to the mall for lunch and shopping with a friend. When we were finished with our greasy cheese pizza, we headed back to the subway for our commute home. As we reached the subway platform, we encountered a large group of women holding beautiful roses! They were just getting back from a wedding. My eyes got big and I smiled when I saw all these pretty flowers and one woman noticed this. She handed over her flowers to me and asked if I would like to have hers! She pushed them into my hands with a smile. It was so nice and unexpected, but it brightened my day! It is not the first time this kind of thing has happened. The first thing that was passed into my hands from a nice Korean lady was a bunch of deep purple grapes--not the sweet ones, but the ones that really taste grape! She got up off her seat and thrust them into my hands with a smile before leaving the subway car. This type of kindness blows me off my feet! Another encounter with this unexpected friendliness was when my friend and I were invited to sit down on the subway seat next to an elderly lady. She passed us dried anchovies and showed us how to peel them and eat them neatly. These kinds of people have a special gift for brightening my day! Whenever I start to get discouraged or frustrated with living in such a busy, crowded place, I meet someone like this--sent from heaven!

No comments: