Sunday, November 16, 2008

Wildfires






Yesterday morning, I geared up for my 6.5 mile jog as the wind whipped around the yard. I got outside and was met with 85+ degree temperatures and strong winds. An hour and a half later, I got home and noticed the sky was kind of gray.

Martin called me and told me about some fires that had started up not too far away from where I live, but I didn't think it was a big deal. After a couple of hours, it turned out to be a VERY big deal! The Santa Ana winds were strong and fueled the fire all day and night. The fire jumped over the highways near where I live, and ash fell from the sky onto Edna's yard like snow (the only kind I predict we will get).

We didn't have to evacuate, but many around us did. Luckily, the winds shifted and headed away from us. Unfortunately, they destroyed many homes. So far, I haven't heard of any fatalities, though. The fires were/are just a few miles from here--it is really eery out.

Update Monday: The skies are blue again and the air is a little cleaner. The fire is still raging out of control, but it has headed in the opposite direction. I am posting some pictures Martin and I took Saturday afternoon.

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

Yikes!! Glad you are okay!!!

dana said...

Glad you're okay, B!!! Love you!