Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Hip-hip-hooray!

I am starting to think that I need to set more big goals for myself. Why is it that we doubt what we can accomplish? What keeps us from pushing our own boundaries a little more?

I wasn't sure I could live in Korea for a year, but it had always been a goal of mine to live abroad, so I tried it. It wasn't so bad...in fact, it turned out to be a good experience. Now, I have set this goal to finish a marathon and I am finding that it really isn't a big deal. Sure it's challenging me physically and mentally, but it is really not too bad!

Today I conquered the Newport boardwalk not only once, but three times! The days I do my long runs (over 6-8 miles) are spent at the beach, but I've never run this far in my whole life! Ready to be blown away by the grand total? OK, here it is:

18 MILES!!! Woohoo!!! :)

It took me three and a half hours to complete my run, and I could hardly walk after I finished, but I did finish. My legs and feet are sore, but I now am realizing that this is a really positive experience for me. I am beginning to think about what things I want to do and see and experience:

1. finish the marathon in February
2. become fluent in Spanish (and, eventually, German)
3. purchase an around-the-world plane ticket

It is my goal to have lots and lots of stories to tell when I am Edna's age! :)

3 comments:

AxeZen said...

Nice goals. Alles klar.

I'm planning a trip to Brazil and Buenos Aires in January '09. I don’t mind your company. You’ll have the opportunity to practice not only Spanish but Portuguese :)

Tchao ;)

stmini said...

Wow!! 18 miles is huge! good job. that is so amazing!

Sabrina said...

You are so awesome Bonnie!!!!!