Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Let me explain...

Now that I've started this new job, I have tried a few times to explain how it all works without success. Images are sometimes better.

Last night, as I waited for my students to finish their placement test, I snapped a few pictures of my non-traditional classroom. Here is what I see:


On the TV screen, you can see a small box in the upper left-hand corner. That is the image the students see on their TV. Here is my whiteboard (only about 6 feet away from the video camera):


BTW: I hate when kids are made to call me Miss Bonnie--I would prefer them to either call me just plain 'Bonnie' or to be really formal and address me by my family name.

Even though most of my teaching experience is with elementary students, I don't really do the cutesy teacherey things (like, baby talk, naming the paper bear mascot on the board, etc.). I generally feel that kids don't want to be patronized and respond just as well, if not better, to normal speech patterns and vocabulary. Just my opinion.

Finally, here is a close-up of the video camera that figures out all the details of how to make it all work:


Clarification: My students are Koreans in Korea. Their school is really close to where I used to live in Seoul.

2 comments:

stmini said...

wow that looks like a very interesting classroom.

stmini said...

where are the kids at that you have to do it over video?