Saturday, March 8, 2008

Thailand News

Well, I've been back from Thailand for a week. I have no reason for not having updated my blog except for pure laziness and lack of motivation! Sorry!

So, Thailand was awesome! We left Sunday night and spent about 7 hours in the Bankok airport. This picture was taken after not having slept for way too many hours! After trying to sleep on the floor, we found a coffee place and sat for a very long time!


Once we got to Phuket, we spent many, many hours laying on the beach and eating Pad Thai. We really didn't do much more than eat and laze around (which could account for my present lethargy)! The picture below is of our Pad Thai and Mai Thai's. I really enjoyed the food! Today in town, I bought three packets of different Thai foods to make at my apartment! I am really excited to move into an apartment with a kitchen next year so I can cook some of these foods that I am becoming addicted to! :) Oh, we also took got an awesome foot/reflexology massage for an hour one night with the nice price tag of 6 bucks! Those women worked magic on my feet! I will need to start incorporating those into my budget back home!


On our last day in Thailand, my friend and I decided to take a little adventure to some of the islands around Phuket. The first stop was "The Beach" in which where we were told "Orlando DiCaprio" starred (the guide had an accent, but I distinctly heard Orlando DiCaprio). We sped over rough and choppy waters for an hour before reaching the first island. The weather didn't look promising (and a couple of times I thought the boat was going to break in half from all the waves we jumped), but when we arrived at the island, the sky had cleared up. We went to Malay, Phi Phi Lay, Phi Phi Don, and Kai Islands. Of all of them, the last was my favorite. It was a tiny island (I could walk around the whole thing in about 15 minutes). We also got to do some snorkeling where we saw lots of tropical fish and some giant gold brains under the water. It was a fun day--I am glad we did something on our trip other than just lay around (although, who can complain about that)!


When we needed breaks from the sun, we walked over to some of the shopping areas in search for bargains. We passed food stands like this one with strange, exotic fruits for sale. I tried a longan from this stand--it was something new for me, but very good! :) (http://www.chiangmai-chiangrai.com/images/fruit/longan.jpg)


We returned to Korea on Sunday tan and refreshed! Classes started last Monday, and the week quickly fell back into a familiar routine. I have lots of new co-workers, but I really like them so far! This semester should be a lot easier for me than the last one! :)

Last word on Phuket and Thailand: I loved it and can't wait to go back!

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

Can I be you? Real authentic pad thai? I would be in heaven!
Welcome back!