Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Project Runway

Last Saturday, I peeked out of one of the white, pom-pom-lined curtain windows in Edna's house and saw a yard sale across the street. I am a sucker for yard sales. Not the kind where people are just trying to pawn off their garbage onto other unsuspecting people from the dark depths of a damp garage, but the kind where there is charmingly useful/cool stuff neatly arranged on a lawn with happy sellers prepared to strike a bargain.

This sale in particular caught my eye because of the large, wheeled racks stuffed with colorful dresses. I wandered over to the sale and started chatting with the two gentlemen who lived in the house. I found out that they are both designers! One focuses on vintage-style dresses, while the other designs modern clothes to sell to department stores. All of the dresses that were hanging in the yard were original designs. Most were samples to show buyers, and luckily, many were my size. I pulled out a few (which were priced at $5 each) and settled on one dress that I liked the best.

I also picked up an apron that one of the men designed for $3. Fun sale! Now, I have no hard evidence on this, but I speculate that the yard sale season might extend far into the fall and winter months (it was 90 degrees today). I hope to stumble upon a few more fun sales like this one!

Here is the apron:


And, here is the dress:



I wore a black cami under the dress on Sunday with my open-toe, black heels. The dress has a tie in the back, but fits pretty close to my body (I am actually about a size larger than he makes the dresses, but this one fits).

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

WOW! I want to see the dress! How cool to have that right across the street! You could be their model for new clothes that they make.

Anonymous said...

What a buy, Bonnie!

BW