Thursday, January 31, 2008

I Caught Her!



There is something that really gets on my nerves: junk mail. I really hate receiving those glossy fliers in my mailbox, under my windshield wipers and especially, taped to my door! Tonight, though, I intercepted! As I approached my doorstop, there was a woman standing near the keypad. She was holding a couple of familiar things: a roll of scotch tape, and a big stack of advertisements to tape to our doors. I wasn't about to let this happen, so I tried to block her (as politely as possible). I stood in front of her as I punched in the building password, but somehow she got around me and saw two of the four numbers needed to get in. I looked at her, pointed to the papers in her hands, and said some of the few words I know in Korean: ahnyo, kam-sah-hahm-nida(no, thanks). I slipped inside and closed the door behind me. She proceeded to punch numbers into the box, using the clues she got from me and failing every time. I reached the fourth floor and could still hear her trying combinations. Finally, after putting my things down, taking off my jacket, and pulling a different flier from my door, I decided enough was enough. I went back down and opened the door again. I politely pointed to the papers and said, "no thanks" again. I tried to be kind, but firm about not wanting the papers. She said, "yeh, yeh," and turned down the sidewalk. Success!

No comments: