Monday, January 21, 2008

Class Today

Class today was sparse. Only half of my students showed up! It was snowing this morning, so I like to blame it on the snow rather than my teaching abilities! This week we are doing a unit on our favorite things (using the Sound of Music and Julie Andrews). Today we made picture collages and each student had to share in front of the group, and the group had to come up with two questions to ask about the presentation. Now, for native speakers, this is no problem, but these students had quite a bit of stress over this assignment! It is good practice for them!
After class, one student pulled me aside to give me a gift. It was so sweet! He gave me a letter, a hand warmer (the coffee cup above) and two charms for my phone. He was really shy about it--so sweet!
Last week, we had a group conversation using conditionals ("if I could fly, I would___."). One question I asked was: "If you had a million dollars, what would you do with it?" The student who gave me the gift said he would buy the school. He said he would fire all the teachers and I gave him a hard time about losing my job! So, on the outside of the envelope, the student wrote, "If I buy this school, I will never fire you!" Aahh, thanks!

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

awww your students love you!!