Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Food Festival?




Last weekend my friend and I went to a food festival that was about 5 hours south of Seoul, near the ocean. The interesting thing about this food festival is that there wasn't really much food there--at least, none of the delicious foods that were described to us in the brochure...just the same foods as in Seoul. We did see some interesting octopus on a stick being grilled, which reminded me of the MN state fair. I think I will try to market a new "on-a-stick" item--it might work! Most of the festivities were finished by the time our bus got there and we were at the tail end of the celebration. We tried to make the most of our time by walking around, meeting new people (like the mayor's wife of the town we were in) and looking at some of the ceramics, foods and toys for sale. It was a cold day. Cold and windy. It was nice to be out of the city and to be able to breathe clean air--I take that for granted sometimes, but here in Seoul the air is not clean. My friend and I found things to do until around 9 PM when we turned in for the evening. We had been told that we would be staying at a hotel, but we soon figured out that we had a room booked for us and three other people at a traditional-style room (pictured above--the cute, little cottage). That means a small, empty room with a stack of blankets in the corner (also pictured above, only these blankets were stacked on the kimchi fridge). There were five of us placed in this room (I only knew the friend I came with), with four blankets and two pillows. It was an interesting night to say the least! I think it is always a little ackward to sleep in the same room with strangers and is especially ackward to sleep on the floor with people snoring and rolling all around. Anyway, I survived the weekend, but have to say that if there is an opportunity to attend another "food" festival, I may just pass! :) I am really looking forward to a quiet weekend at home in a couple of days! I have Monday off to "enjoy the fall colors," but may just see what fall colors are out in the stores and shops in the city! ;)

No comments: