Monday, June 16, 2008

Bangbae screenprinted towels.


What kinds of gifts do you get from work? Anyone ever get a towel? How about three? These have been from different times of the year--the orange one is the newest. They commemorate different things, although, I'm not sure what. These school gifts are interesting--I've also gotten an umbrella, a set of his/hers socks, two fancy sets of chopsticks and spoons, and countless rice cakes!

There is a funny English conversation I want to share a portion of with you... I won't include the whole conversation as it includes a lot of guessing on my part! The word in question is this: geeno poBEEah. What does it mean, you ask? Here are some clues my non-English speaking art teacher friend gave me: "Korea, no, Japan, no," "don't like," "Europeans, yes." Any guesses? The answer: xenophobia! We had a conversation about xenophobia today. I didn't figure out exactly what we talked about--sometimes those conversations are like that, we just both nod our heads yes as we continue silently down the road to the subway! :) If you have spent any time in a foreign country, you know what I mean!

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

When i was teaching in China, I would get weird gifts all the time. But never cool towels! :)