Monday, February 11, 2008

Images of Bali

This is what our treehouse/bungalow on the beach looked like from the back! Isn't it absolutely great?! It is the coolest hotel/accomodations I have EVER stayed in! It was kind of open at the top so the ocean breeze wafted in throughout the day and night! Thats me: Swiss Bonnie Robinson! :)
These are the rice paddies we saw as we drove up to Amed from Ubud (about a three and a half hour drive when going only 50-75KM per hour...) There is a saying in the German language that I like: Es ist grau in grau. (It is gray in gray--used when it is cloudy with no chance to brighten up...just gray everywhere). I would like to tweak this saying and describe Bali as "green in green." It was green EVERYWHERE! The rains would come in the afternoons and make things even greener than I thought was possible! So beautiful!
Kuta Beach on day 1--surfboards...check, sunshine...check, hockers...check check! We skipped the swimming, though--the riptides are seriously strong and we didn't want to risk it!
Fire trance dance on the cliff at sunset...they sang and danced for so long non-stop! It was fun to see this traditional dance!
Wild monkeys. I might as well admit that I am a bit scared of these greedy creatures! Their beady eyes, long, snake-like tails and especially their screeching really give me goosebumps! There were so many just hanging out, and if you were unfortunate enough to forget to remove your earings, hairbands or sunglasses, well, friend, you would be out of luck! They will jump on you and take what they wish! Yikes!
I was adorned with this lovely green sarong and yellow sash by an old Indonesian man who was about as tall as my shoulder. He tied me up and explained the rules of entering the temple. No prob. I don't know a lot about the Hindu faith, but I am interested as to why all the statues looked so scary and serious! Most of the country is Hindu and they frequently put out small offerings in banana leaf trays with burning incense.
And, after all the fun of the day, this is where you could find me with my book, sunblock and a cool drink in my hand (usually a fresh fruit smoothie full of antioxidants and Vitamin C)!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have been there with you! :) I miss you!

sarah :) said...

dang hook me up! the trip looks amazing- I love the 'treehouse'!! :)