Monday, February 11, 2008

Cooking in Bali

One thing that I have missed in Korea is being able to cook! I have such limited space and access to ingredients that I haven't ventured much into Korean cuisine. However, my friend and I signed up for a Balinese cooking class in Ubud and LOVED it! Don't I look like domestic here? (More like a giant next to our instructor you are probably thinking!)


This was my favorite dish we made: tuna steaks with fresh vegetables. The tuna was great (I usually never eat tuna either!) and the veggies had a really fresh taste! I can't wait to try it out on my own!! Dinner party anyone? :)
Two dishes in this pic: meat on a stick (or on lemongrass as on the right on the grill) and vegetable curry--I loved the curry but, although it was delicious, I probably won't repeat the pork satay.
And for dessert: brown rice pudding drizzled with coconut cream! Before living in Korea, I would not have enjoyed this very much, but that day in Bali, I finished off the whole cup--even with an already full stomach! Delicious!

There were a couple of other dishes we made and sampled throughout the morning. They basically had to roll us out of the restaurant at the end of the morning! I will definitely give these things a try when I get the chance (if not in Korea, for sure in the States!)!

While on the topic of food, I have to add that prices were very cheap. I think our most expensive meal was fresh fish and it cost about $17 for the two of us. Most of the time, we could order drinks, entrees, appetizers and dessert for two for under $10! So, we took advantage of the prices and ate A LOT! :)

No comments: