Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Day 1 in Buenos Aires

We landed safe and sound in Buenos Aires this morning after a 9 hour flight from Dallas. The flight was pretty good--no free upgrades for me this time, but at least my video screen worked. I watched three movies on the way here--two of which were a mistake. That's what happens when you have unlimited hours ahead of you and you can't fall asleep.

After arriving here in the tundra (OK, it's not really that bad, but going from 95 to 50 overnight is somewhat shocking), we promptly snuggled into our beds and slept! When we finally decided to join the world again, we showered, got dressed, and started wandering the streets.


We followed the street down, down, and down, trying not to make too many turns so we could still find our way back. I offered to bring along bread crumbs to scatter behind us, but later decided against it when I saw the hungry pigeons waiting outside. So far, Argentina reminds me a lot of Europe.


We decided to duck inside this warm restaurant for their "menu de dia": a choice of chicken, fish or beef, salad or fries, dessert or coffee plus a drink for our meal.


The grand total for our meal was 44 pesos, which comes out to just under $12 US dollars for the both of us!


Tonight, we are planning to join some of our fellow travellers at the top floor of the hostel for a movie night organized by the hostel staff.

I feel pretty good after having flown so far. The time difference is a mere 4 hours from California, and 2 from Minnesota, so I expect jet lag to be minimal.

Also, I just want to mention that Kara and I have rented our very own apartment in the posh part of town for the next 4 weeks. If you happen to have time off in July and want to come down for a week, just let me know! Bring a jacket and your Spanish dictionary and I promise you will have fun! :)

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

um, I actually looked at tickets today! I really want to come down there and hang. We'll see! :)
Until then, enjoy your time!!!!