Saturday, June 27, 2009

Cementerio de la Recoleta


It would be easy to get lost in this city of the dead. This labyrinth of mausoleums has a way of drawing you in. I don't know if it is the stone angels watching over the place from above, or the eerie atmosphere of the resting bodies entombed deep inside. Either way, I slowed my pace when I entered and suddenly didn't have anything to say as I stepped through the quiet streets of the cemetery.


The most famous resident of this cemetery is 'Evita' Peron, Argentina's memorable First Lady. We didn't have time to seek out her grave, but will make sure to do that when we come back for a more detailed tour.


One thing I should mention is that this cementario is less than a block from our front door--actually, just across the street. I am glad we have quiet neighbors, but I hope they stay within the confines of their 'city'--I don't need any ghost stories to tell around a campfire or anything...