Monday, February 2, 2009

4:26:08 Official Time

Yesterday was so much fun!

Martin and I left at 5AM for Huntington Beach. It was a pretty cold morning (he lent me his sweatshirt) as we waited near the start line until the sun came up at 6:47. There were so many people there--so many serious runners!

The race started a few minutes after sunrise and ended for me 4 hours and 26 minutes later! I knew I would finish, but I surprised myself with the time--I had hoped for 4:45:00 and beat my goal by almost 20 minutes! When signing up, I had to agree that I would let the truck give me a ride back if I took more than 6 hours. I kept moving because I didn't want that to happen! :)

I know I'm not the most graceful looking runner around, but when this picture was taken, I had already finished about 16 of the 26 miles! I ran alone and without music (most marathons don't allow iPods, but this is one of the few that does).

Finish: 4:26:08

Overall: 920 out of 1953
Women: 289 out of 846
F 25-29: 56 out of 158
3 Mile: 29:39 Pace: 9:53
6 Mile: 58:04 Pace: 9:41
12.2 Mile: 1:59:23 Pace: 9:48
20 Mile: 3:16:41 Pace: 9:51
These are my official race results from runraceresults.com.

Martin was waiting for me at the 16 mile mark with the camera and some encouragement--it was really good to see him there. It gave me a boost of energy! He also waited for me at the finish line and snapped pictures as I crossed the line. This picture below was taken moments after I was done--it was hard for me to stand still. You know the feeling you have when you get off the treadmill after running for awhile, or when you step out of your rollerblades after a few miles? The forward momentum makes you feel like you are going to fall forward if you don't keep moving--I had that feeling.


They say not to think about doing another marathon until you finish your first and give yourself a few days/weeks to recover and process, but as I ran all those miles yesterday I kept thinking, "I want to do this again and again and again." I enjoyed my race so much and am absolutely hooked! I don't plan to do another marathon next week or even in the next few months, but I do plan to do another one and beat my time! Who knows, maybe next time I will even qualify for the Boston Marathon... :)

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

Congratulations!!! That is so awesome Bonnie! And wow! you did a fantastic job! You are an inspriration!!!!

stmini said...

Congratulations! wow, that is awesome. Love the pictures :)