Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Teach the SAT, Bonnie?


This reminds me of the time the principal from my old school asked me to play the saxophone in the school faculty band a few years ago. I play the flute, not the saxophone, but said, "no problem" anyway.

Today, Dr. Park called me to meet him about the possibility of teaching more classes for the new term starting in March. Dr. Park is my boss from my internet/Korean school job. I walked into his office and he told me that our new focus is high school students at a very elite school in Seoul. I noticed a very thick SAT prep book on his desk and started to get a little nervous. I can't teach math or science to high schoolers! I barely passed myself! I remained calm as he explained the new hours (4-6AM, 1.30-2.20PM, 5 days a week), new students, new class sizes (20-30 per class), and new subject material (SAT test prep). To my great relief, he asked if I could teach the reading and writing sections of the SAT prep. Whew!

BUT, I never took the SAT.

I don't know much about it, either. How hard can it be? I said, "no problem Doc." OK, I didn't call him Doc, just kidding about that part.

So, for now folks, I am again employed (but don't start till March)! That is a very positive thing...that means I can stay here for a while longer, as long as I find a place to live.

One more thing: he tried to recruit me to go back to Seoul for a year as a high school counselor. The salary would be higher, the benefits would be the same (free housing/round-trip airfare/no taxes), and I wouldn't have to teach. I would simply help students apply for colleges and universities here in the States. I wish this position would have been available to me in 2007 when I went! I think I would have really enjoyed it! My answer to Dr. Park?: not at the moment, but I won't rule it out for the future.

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

I never took the SATs either! Good thing you don't have to teach math... I would have a panic attack!

Good luck on the houseing search!