Sunday, August 3, 2008

The countdown!

The countdown has begun! (Well, to be truthful, it began awhile ago.) Three weeks and I will be in the States! It seems weird that this year will soon be over. Something that I'm a little nervous about is fitting back into my culture. It is a weird feeling to have been living in a totally different place for over a year--I've picked up little things along the way that won't fit in the States, so I have to be conscious about speaking English (without using weird intonation, slowing down or crazy word choice), eating quietly, walking without bumping into people...it is going to be an interesting first couple of months! I have been living in one of the busiest parts of town where everything is literally across the street or down the street--it is such a convenient place to live and work. I love the fact that I can walk everywhere or take a bus or subway--I haven't missed driving at all. In fact, I am kind of dreading the responsibility of having a car again (by the way, if you know of anyone selling or giving a car away, let me know--I'm in the market)!

I just want this year to be relevant. Does that make sense? I mean, I want it to count for something. It has been a huge experience in my life--one that I will always carry with me, and I just get nervous that things won't have really changed back at home and I will slide right back into the life I left. I have changed a lot over the year and I want my future life to reflect some of that change. I don't know, maybe I'm just rambling. Maybe it is just 11PM and I'm putting off going to bed.

Thanks for sticking with me this far! I just want to put one more thought out into cyberspace. I started this blog to record my experiences abroad. Soon, I'll be back. Do I keep it going? Do I put it on hold till I travel again? I don't know. I'll probably keep it going for a little while, but I'm not promising anything. My life is definitely not boring (at least, in my opinion), but my travels are going to slow down a little. OK...I will quit rambling. Thanks for reading, readers! :)

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

Wow! has it been a year? I remember having lunch with you last year when you were first throwing around the idea of Korea! Im proud of you! Way to live your life to the fullest! Where will you be living? If you need a place, you are welcome here! And i will keep my ears open for a cheap car! Looking forward to your return! And I think you have done some incredible stuff! You should be proud of yourself too!

Anonymous said...

Hi Bonnie,
I can certainly relate to your experience in Korea. Liveing in a place where almost everything is within walking distance or just taking public transportation. Every year I come to China just to experience the city life.

I am still in China right now but will go back tomorrow. Be sure to call me when you return to Minnesota and we will arrange to meet for sure. You are welcome at our place. Our home phone number is 763.241.1264 and my cell phone is 763.300.4808.

See you soon!

Baiying