Tuesday, September 4, 2007

My New Home :)




Some new pics were requested of my Korean home. Here it is guys, all 12 square feet of it! It is cozy and quaint and definitely the smallest apartment I have ever had! :) The upside of it being small is the location: awesome! I am in the middle of all the crazy, loud, neon lights--but a couple of blocks off the main stretch in a quieter part in an insulated apartment with AC! Whenever I want, I can join the street vendors and food stands, or jump on the subway and be taken away to virtually anywhere in the city, or, I can tuck myself away in my quiet apartment where I am secretly stealing wi-fi from Starbucks down the street! School started yesterday, but my co-teachers have given me the week to ease into my new job. I have one week to plan for the next week (three lessons in all, but taught over and over all week). I am also finding my way around the korean computer world (anyone ever tried to use microsoft word in Korean? It is a lot harder than it sounds!) and figuring out how to access my resources at school (I got ahold of scissors and found a key to my desk--huge accomplishments for me!). People are super helpful and friendly. Yesterday I applied for my alien registration card (I am an alien...it has been confirmed), and my Korean realtor friend (the guy who brought us to E-Mart and out for Korean barbeque) showed up and drove me to the immigration office. It took us almost two hours because we got a little lost along the way. He pulled over to the side of a VERY busy street (picture lots and lots of honking...like LA but busier!) and asked a man for help. They loudly discussed the best route to the office for about ten minutes and as we were ready to head out in the direction that was decided, the man jumped in the backseat and personally wanted to make sure we got there without any more confusion!! How is that for generosity! We drove a couple of miles through the city and when we found the office, the poor guy had to take a bus back to his starting point! :) Well, I have lots more to say, but it is a school night for me and I am exhausted!!

No comments: