Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Inside a Glacier


There are many glaciers in Switzerland and we had the chance to visit one of these glaciers a couple of weeks ago. My eyes have now been opened to global warming...it is unbelievable! There was a sign a couple hundred meters from the opening of the glacier indicating where the glacier was ten years ago. There was another sign much further back (near the road) showing where it was fifty years ago. It is sad because a large amount of this glacier has melted over the last fifty years, and I can only predict that in another hundred years it will be gone! I don't think I have ever seen the effects of global warming in the States as clearly and as obviously as I have here. Sure, in the States we have had strange weather patterns, but these glaciers are daily, visible reminders of how our actions affect our planet. I am glad I got to see this and experience a feeling of panic about it! It is good to realize my responsibility as a citizen of the Earth (sounds like I've turned green, doesn't it?). Anyway, I have posted a picture of the glacier from the outside and from the inside. We walked inside and got to see what it is like inside a huge chunk of ice...cold. There were hikers on the top of the glacier, but I guess it is pretty dangerous--if you take a wrong step, you could slip through one of the huge cracks and have a long fall to death! There is no rescue for these people who fall into the ice...it is way too dangerous. It is beautiful inside, though. The ice is really pretty, it is a whole palate of different shades of blue.

No comments: