Saturday, July 28, 2007

A Cave Church and Chicken Feet


Budapest is huge and hot and very busy!! This was one of the coolest cities I have ever been to! It is such an old city and has so much history! We hiked up to the top of a cliff and had such a cool view of the city from there! It was a tough hike with lots and lots of stairs but really worth it! On the way up, we popped into a cave church. It was a catholic church with chairs set up all through the tunnels. It was decorated with candles, small statues and pictures everywhere. I have never been to church in a cave before, but I think I would like it! Plus, it might be one of the only places people are able to escape from the heat! It was nearly 40 celcius that day (I am not sure what that is in ferenheit, but I know that it is really hot)! I wanted to jump into the river so many times--the locals had no problem with the heat...they were drinking hot tea, hot soup, and ordering hot meals! They must have superpowers. There was a huge market building with vegetables, meats, spices, and lots of souveniers for the tourists. One interesting thing I saw for sale was chicken feet--they were right next to the pork chops. I know that it is common to eat these in some places (like Korea for example), but I am sure that when a plate of them is put in front of me for the first time, I will feel a little stress! I would think they are incredibly difficult to eat...my family always had chickens as I grew up, and I always thought the feet looked really boney and rubbery. I will let you know when that big day comes that I try to eat some and will maybe even recommend that you pick some up next time you are at the market!

No comments: