Friday, September 5, 2008

Are there mountain lions?

http://gf.nd.gov/images/photos/mtn-lion-broch-1.jpg

I have started running again. Long ago, I used to really enjoy long runs down country roads and winding streets, however, I eventually got a little bored and started to explore other forms of exercise. It has been years since I called myself a runner, but I've decided to resuscitate my running shoes and have set a new goal: finish the Napa Valley Marathon in March. Anyone want to join me? Now, before you call me crazy, it is definitely do-able and as long as you set small goals for yourself, you can finish all 26.2 miles! I get a little nervous putting this goal into cyberworld, because, frankly, I am a little unsure I will be able to complete it myself! (But, like I said, it is do-able, small steps and goals....I will be fine) I would love company, so if you are interested, let me know (we could do a nice wine tour after the race to help speed the recovery process!) :)

My daily run has been between 3 and 4 miles--not a bad start, but I have a long way to go. I take off down the driveway and try to get as far as I can before the wind starts to dry up my sinuses and blow through my ears. Then I turn around and head home.

You might be wondering why I have made a reference to mountain lions in the title. Well, let me fill you in. I have these really random, pretty ridiculous fears, here are a few examples: sharks, things falling on my head, riding horses, extreme speed, and mountain lions.

I've been running pretty regularly since getting back to the States two weekends ago, but didn't think I had anything to fear (even after I saw a black bear run into the woods not too far from here!) until my dad mentioned that the neighbor spotted a mountain lion in the field a couple of summers ago. A mountain lion in central MN, you ask? Apparently so. This past year, my friend in Korea filled my head with stories of people hiking, jogging, and biking in California and Colorado before a surprise attacker pounced from behind the bushes to gore, shred and maul the innocent victim. The thought sends shivers up my spine.

I started off on my run two days ago, and as I made my way down the driveway, I saw a small pile of droppings discretely hidden on the edge of the pavement. Immediately, alarm bells went off in my head. I tried to calm myself down--there is no way...I mean, could it really be?...a mountain lion? I have no answers at this point--only assumptions as to what species left them there for me to find. Was it one of my parent's two dogs? A deer perhaps? Maybe I should have paid closer attention when we went through the dung unit in biology class.

I guess I shouldn't always assume the worst--I mean, why would a mountain lion choose me over any of the juicy deer, rabbits, squirrels, raccoons or porcupines roaming my parents' land? Either way, I am going to keep my eyes open from now on!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember that "black bear". Good times, good times